“I refuse to play the game of ‘assault weapon.’ That’s any weapon. It’s a hammer. It’s the machetes in Rwanda that killed 800,000 people, an article that came out this week, the massive number that are killed with hammers.”
– Republican Representative Louis Gohmert arguing that banning assault weapons won’t work.
“Vice President Joe Biden has a demonstrated ability to bring people together, whether at the negotiating table or at the neighborhood diner. We, therefore, urge the Obama Administration to authorize the production of a recurring C-SPAN television program featuring the daily activities and interactions of the Vice President with elected officials, foreign dignitaries and everyday American families.”
– A new petition on the White House website.
“It’s a little bit like being the head caretaker of the cemetery. There are a lot of people under you, but nobody listens.”
– Republican Representative Hal Rodgers, describing House Speaker John Boehner’s grip on power.
“Intimidating is going up to a growling Rottweiler and having to squeeze his anal glands, or going up to a stallion that weighs 1,200 pounds and telling him you’re going to take his testicles off. That’s intimidating. I think I can handle Congress.”
– Republican Representative Ted Yoho, saying his days as a large animal veterinarian prepared him for his new job,
“Maybe you can do it once, maybe you can do it twice, but when start making deals, when you have to get Democrats to pass the legislation, you are not in power anymore.”
– Former Republican Speaker Dennis Hastert, defending the “Hastert Rule.”
“A holstered gun is not a deadly weapon… But anything can be used as a deadly weapon. A credit card can be used to cut somebody’s throat.”
– New Hampshire Republican state Representative Dan Dumaine, opposing a move to ban guns for the chamber floor.