– Republican Representative Phil Gingrey, an OB-GYN, on former Representative Todd Akn’s “legitimate rape” comments.
“There’s no way to defend what Todd Akin said. You just can’t do it, and you shouldn’t try to put it into a scientific context. It was a bad statement. And to try to defend it or explain someone else’s poor choice of words, it would be a fool’s errand.”
– Former Republican Representative Mary Bono Mack in response to Phil Gingrey’s defense of Todd Akin.
“I’m sure that I couldn’t get all 49 other governors to admit that they would want to be Texans. I’m thinking that Governor Cuomo would not admit that he’d want to be a Texan.”
– Texas Republican Governor Rick Perry.
“We may have to shed blood every couple hundred years to preserve our freedoms.”
– Former Republican Representative Joe Walsh saying conservatives are losing the “war” with Democrats for U.S. voters.
“The president is going to act. There are executives orders, there’s executive action that can be taken. We haven’t decided what that is yet.”
– Vice President Joe Biden in comments before a meeting with victims of gun violence.
“Actually, I don’t know what the hell the larger message is, come to think of it.”
– Former Democratic Senator Bob Kerrey on the significance of Chuck Hagel’s nomination to be secretary of defense.