“They are used to defend our property and our families and our faith and our freedom, and they are absolutely essential to living the way God intended for us to live.”
– California Republican Representative Tim Donnelly talking about guns.
“If you had told me a year and a half ago that the White House would be devoting time writing on how Lord Vader could fix our economic woes, I would have just laughed loudly at you.”
– A White House staffer reacting to the online petitions received by the White House.
“Unproductive and unpopular are two words most often used to describe the previous Congress, but a new description can be used for the new session: inexperienced. Nearly two in five lawmakers in the U.S. House, 39%, have served for less than three years. It’s the least experienced House since at least 1995, when an election wave swept the Republicans into power.”
– Susan Davis, USA TODAY
“This is about tone. It’s about messaging and it’s about showing people what we’re for instead of what we’re against.”
– Virginia Republican Governor Bob McDonnell (R) describing his message to House Republicans at their retreat.
“When it’s for self-protection, you need as much firepower as needed to protect your family.”
– Mississippi Republican Governor Phil Bryant saying he’ll oppose President Obama’s gun control initiatives.
“The NRA is continually trumpeting they increased their membership by ‘x’ amount in this month. The president has the most exciting campaign apparatus ever built. It’s time to turn that loose. It’s time to turn that loose for something more than just an election. If the NRA’s got a list, then Obama for America has a bigger list and it is time to get activated again.”
– Former White House press secretary Robert Gibb