“I will have $25 million in the bank by the end of the year and will use it in early 2014 to define my opponent.”
– Florida Republican Governor Rick Scott, quoted by National Review, which notes “a war chest of that size will buy a lot of defining, even in an expensive media state like Florida.”
“He tried to make love to the tea party and they didn’t like it.”
– Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid on the possibility of a tea party backed challenger to Minority Leader Mitch McConnell.
“You know Ted, you have been gifted above any man that I know and God has destined you for greatness”
– Republican Senator Ted Cruz’s father about advice he gave to his son.
“When I worked at the White House the first time, 20 years ago, I was so young that people would make fun of me. Now the young staffers say, ‘Wow, you were here in ’90s? That is so West Wing.”
– Joe Biden chief of staff Bruce Reed.
“Oh, I think they’re terrible. But the consequences for the country are worse. Are we going to sit around — 11 million people? Do you know how some of these people are exploited? You know, pick up a guy on the corner and have him work all day, and then say, ‘To heck with you, I’m not paying you. Call the cops if you don’t like it.’ I mean, they have no protections of our law and our society. I’m no bleeding-heart liberal; you know that. But, my god, we need to resolve this issue.”
– Senator John McCain on the consequences for Republicans if the House kills the immigration bill.
“I think that Hillary Clinton probably will be the candidate. If she doesn’t run, I think Biden will run.”
– David Axelrod forecasting the 2016 Democratic presidential race.
“I can die a happy man never having been president of the United States of America. But it doesn’t mean I won’t run.”
– Joe Biden dropping a fairly big hint.